Lake

Lake
Near Yellow Mountain

Sunday, December 12, 2010

First Trip Back to Japan

December 12, 2010

The last few few weeks have been very busy - work, closing on the house, dealing with the small and large details of moving back - address changes, thinking about what cars and TVs to buy, etc.

Connie continues to have to work around a cast over her elbow which exacerbates her frustrations with living in a hotel with a dog, trying to arrange painters for the some of the rooms in the house before our things come, etc.

I have been away from Charlotte for a week.

A few days in San Francisco at a company meeting which included my team from Asia - they enjoyed the greasy American breakfast I took them to at a typical city diner (more "American culture" I told them),  wondered why there are so many homeless people in San Francisco but left California with IPads that are cheaper to buy here than in the Apple Store Shanghai. It was great to see them. I spent a day in Honolulu seeing a cousin since I didn't need to arrive in Tokyo until Sunday. I arrived in Tokyo today. Coming to Japan always feels "normal".

Bottom line - because I continue to travel and see familiar people and have only spent two days in my new office - I have not really started my adjustment to the US yet but I have accepted the fact I am not living in China anymore. I can't even visit China on this trip because I don't have a visa yet.......

Time to focus on Christmas and then the move into the house.